Harley Club of Victoria - Vicroads Club Permit Scheme

For all members wishing to get Club Permit (Red Plate rego) for their bike, please note, The HCV only allows motorcycles to be Club Permitted. For any other vehicle you will have to join an appropriate club.

As from July 1, 2015 in order to obtain a Club Permit through HCV a $100 p/a volunteer levy is payable. The levy is fully refundable after volunteering at a designated club event.

The bike must be over 25 years old from the date of issue for the permit.

The Club Permit scheme is a permit to use an unregistered vehicle on the road, it is not classed as registration.

It is your responsibility to make sure the bike has everything in a safe condition to be on the road prior to being inspected and after being issued with a permit from Vic Roads. This includes lights, tyres, wheels, brakes, motor, horn, speedo, frame and attachments, throttle and any other item which may be seen as a safety issue. Minor modifications are permitted according to the Vic Roads "Guide to Modifications" information sheet. A link is on the website.

The logbook must be filled out prior to use, for each day you intend to ride your bike.

Please be aware there are penalties for you as the owner as well as the club, for breaches of any responsibilities under the scheme.

You must be a financial member of the club for the permit period.

The bike doesn't have to be inspected each year, but the renewal form must be signed by the appropriate person/s in the club prior to you paying Vic Roads.

For a bike already on a Club Permit to change from 90 to 45 days or the other way round, you will have to notify Vic Roads and get a new form issued before getting it signed.

From 1 February 2011, new conditions of use for club permit vehicles apply.

Under the new conditions of use, permit holders are no longer restricted to club sanctioned activities when using their vehicles. Club Permit vehicles can be used at any time for any purpose other than for the carriage of goods or passengers for hire or reward.

A logbook is issued to permit holders to record the use of the vehicle over the permit period. A log book entry must be made each day that the vehicle is used (unless the vehicle is within 100 metres of the garaged address).

A logbook must be carried in the vehicle, or on the rider in the case of motorcycles, at all times the vehicle is in use.

Financial members of VicRoads’ approved clubs are able to apply for either a 45 or 90 day permit depending on how much use they expect to make of their vehicles over a 12 month period. If a person obtains a 45 day permit but later decides that this is not enough, another 45 day permit may be purchased later on.

However, no-one will be able to obtain a permit to drive their vehicle for more than 90 days in each 12 month registration period.

Other features of the new scheme include:

  • A windscreen label will be issued to assist in identifying vehicles operating with a current permit;
  • VicRoads may suspend or cancel a permit if the permit holder fails to comply with the permit conditions or engages in conduct which threatens public safety or undermines the integrity of the permit scheme;
  • Clubs are required to sign an agreement with VicRoads that they meet certain obligations including that they notify VicRoads if they become aware or reasonably suspect a pattern of incorrect use of a logbook by a member. If this is not done, VicRoads will be able to revoke the club’s approval to be part of the scheme.

Club permit holders already on the scheme prior to 1 February 2011 have been issued with a free 90 day transitional logbook. The transitional logbook will be able to be used until the current permit expires. The logbook is valid until the permit expiry date and allows use up to a maximum of 90 days prior to the expiry date.

Permit holders operating with the transitional logbook are not issued with a windscreen label or log book certificate sticker until the current permit is renewed after 1 February 2011.

Slim line club permit number plates will be made available upon commencement of production.

Applying for a club permit 

To apply for a Club permit you will need to complete a Club Permit Application form found here together with:

  • written verification by the club secretary (or person authorised by VicRoads) that the applicant for the club permit is a member of the car club
  • in the case of a club historic vehicle that is not a street rod, a current certificate of roadworthiness or a letter from a scrutineer authorised by the club, stating that the vehicle is safe for use on the road
  • in the case an application made in respect of a street rod, that is a vehicle modified in excess of the level prescribed in the Vehicle Standards Information No.4. (VSI4), a Street Rod Inspection certificate issued by Jean - Christophe Bonneville (VASS No. 1042) of Bonneville Consulting, 19 Cantala Court, Endeavour Hills, Victoria 3802. Bonneville Consulting can be contacted on Tel: 0427212464.
  • Club Permit fee - refer to Permits (Club, Rally and Unregistered Vehicle Permits)


Refunds are not available for Club Permits if the period for which the permit was obtained has commenced.

For more infromation, please visit the VicRoads Club Permit page here.

Club Permit Enquiry Form

    [anr_nocaptcha g-recaptcha-response]